- 24-Mar-2017 to 23-May-2017 (CST)
- Product Development
- St. Louis, MO, USA
- Full Time
We provide full benefits including 401(K) with company match, competitive pay, generous employee discount, profit sharing potential and an opportunity to work with a successful and growing company.
Put yourself first. Choose what makes you happy. Then you can better care for the important people in your life. This is the philosophy that Soft Surroundings was founded on and it's the way of the Soft Surroundings culture.
Located in St. Louis, Missouri, Soft Surroundings was founded in 1999. Since that time, we've grown from a small catalog company into a multi-channel merchant with a large catalog circulation, a fast-growing internet business and 39 brick and mortar stores. We attribute our phenomenal growth to the passion our employees who provide our customers with not only high-quality apparel, home and beauty products, but the understanding that our customers are not just purchasing an item, but an experience.
We are currently seeking a Senior Design Director Apparel our team. This person will collaborate with the VP of Design to develop the color, print and trend direction for the brand line for each season.
- Provide and guide the Designers with silhouette and fabric direction for the season while ensuring trends are represented in a relevant and trend right way for the Soft Surroundings customer.
- Provide Designers with the training, tools, and spaces to be creative while executing to the brand vision.
- Shop globally to be inspired and remain relevant.
- Works closely with Sourcing team to ensure all designs meet the margin and quality standards of the brand.
- Responsible for providing clear direction to the Technical Design team to ensure that all style requirements are met throughout the fitting process.
- Work closely with the Merchant team to better understand what the customers are and are not buying so that designs remain current and relevant while meeting the needs of the customer.
- Build a working calendar that ensures Designers hit corporate milestone meetings.
- Work closely with factories and China office to develop proprietary product, trims and washes.
- Provide development ratios for each Designer to maintain appropriate balance of fashion to core basic, solid to novelty, etc.
- Work with Product Development and China office to ensure all samples, fabric and color approvals are on time and meet company standards.
- Work closely with VP of Design and the Designers to ensure that all items can be presented and styled in a brand appropriate way across all channels.
- Ensure all fabrics meet the Softness standards set by the brand.
- Stay connected to the customer to better understand how to translate trends that are relevant.
- Responsible for coloring the apparel brand line and making sure it is balance, trend right and wearable for the Soft Surrounding customer.
- Work closely with VP of Design to style the line and ensure basics are updated seasonally to coordinate to work back to everything.
- Bachelor's Degree in fashion design or textiles/apparel management.
- Advanced knowledge of garment construction.
- Strong fashion sense and the ability to interpret trends.
- Well versed in fabrics and trims.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- 5+ years of supervisory apparel development experience in a fast-paced environment.
- PLM experience desired.
- Overseas factory experience required.